From version 3.4 your ViArt shop is capable of exporting your products to Google base by activating appropriate settings. (Please note: Froogle base is no longer available; instead, Google offers Google Base exporting feature).
Google Base is a free online database which allows any user to post his products and any type of content online and offline to make them searchable in Google.
To configure Google Base in your shop please follow the instructions below:
- Go to Administration > Products Settings > Google Base Settings tab in your Administration panel.
- Click the Create new data feed button to access Google Base feed page directly from your Admin panel. In case you do not have an account on Google, you will be offered to register. If you already possess Google account, please enter the valid login/password to create a new data feed.
- Complete your profile. For the Website URL specify the correct URL of your site so importing works correctly. Your URLs must link to a working website. When your site is under construction or down for maintenance, you must pause your item. Your URLs must link directly to the webpages that contain information about your items. Google Base does not allow links that redirect.
- Upon registering you will be redirected to the next Google page where you should specify Data feed. Enter the name of the file you will be submitting and then fill the same file name in the ‘Data Feed Filename' field in the shop settings, like test.xml. Ensure that the file name matches the one you entered on Google Base site and that it includes a valid extension as per the format of your feed. Select the appropriate item type from the drop-down menu. Please, keep in mind that at present ViArt Shop supports only Products type. Please, view the below image to see how it should look.
- Click the Register Data feed and continue to formatting instructions button. After viewing the formatting information, you'll see your feed listed in your account.
- Now that it is registered please return to the product Settings of your shop and fill the necessary fields (please, use the below image as a sample). Important note: the data you specify in your shop settings should be the same as the ones you filled while opening the account and registering your Google feed. Otherwise, Google base feature won't work.
- Next step is to generate the file for export. For this go to the products page and press either Google Base export or Google Base Filtered link to create a file for uploading.
Note: Before pressing the 'exporting' button, please ensure that you selected Google Base Product Type on the Edit Product page and on the Product Settings Page. It is not allowed to leave Not Exported option for a Google Base type.
In case your products have some specifications, like: colour, size, material, please select the appropriate Google base attributes which will match your specification(s). This is done via Administration > Products > Product's name > Specification. Please, view the below image as an example.
- When clicking the Google Base export or Google Base Filtered link, you will be directed to the page where you can download the xml file. The link to the page will be something like: http://www.yoursite.com/admin/imagestest.xml, where imagetest.xml will be the name of your exported file. If the login details are correct you will be redirected to Google site where you can download the file with your products. In case the login/or password do not match the ones in your google account, you will receive the below note:
- You will be offered to save the xml file and upload it on Google Base site. Save the file somewhere and go to http://www.google.com/base/bulkuploads page. Press the Upload file next to Manual upload method.
- Wait a long while for Google to consume all of your content. Usually, it can take from 20-60 minutes, however sometimes this procedure can be extended on a few hours.
- In case of success you will see a Success status in the Last upload date & status column. To view items on Google, please click the Active items tabs on the same page.
- Should you receive the Failed status, press the Details link to view the description of the failure. Besides, you can contact our support team and we'll check the problem
- You can use any FTP client program as well to upload your file to Google Base Database. To use this method, you will need to have an FTP program, also known as an FTP client, installed on your computer. If you do not already have an FTP client, you can download one from the web. Your FTP client will need the following settings:
• Host name: uploads.google.com This is our FTP server where you will send your feed.
• User: the username you set up in your Google Base account.
• Password: the password you set up in your Google Base account.
• Logontype: should be set to normal, not anonymous. You may have to change this setting before you will be able to enter your username and password.
If you're using FileZilla, the configuration settings in the FTP program should look similar to this:
Note: Other FTP clients will have different interfaces. Refer to your to your FTP client's documentation for instructions.
- For more information on Google Base feed, please refer to: this page